3 TBSP. olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey
1 cup onion, diced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 TBSP. + 1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano
2 TBLE. garlic, minced
5 TBSP. tomato paste
salt/pepper, to taste
1 large head of cauliflower
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Your favorite taco toppings
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 TBLE. fresh cilantro, minced
- For the turkey – Heat large skillet with 2 TBSP. olive oil. Add 1/2 cup onion and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the ground turkey. (While turkey is cooking, begin making your cauliflower rice, or prepare it ahead of time.)
- Mix together chili powder, 1 TBSP. cumin, ground coriander, paprika, oregano, and salt/pepper to taste. When turkey is finished cooking, add in the spice mixture. Add 1 TBSP. garlic. Stir mixture altogether so turkey is evenly coated with spices.
- Mix in 3 TBSP. tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- For the cauliflower rice – Cut your cauliflower into quarters, remove the stem and discard. Chop into 2 inch pieces, place into a food processor and pulse. Will need to do multiple batches.
- Heat another large skillet with 1 TBSP. olive oil. Add 1/2 cup onion and saute for about 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the pulsed cauliflower, salt/pepper to taste, and 1 tsp. cumin. Stir until cauliflower is evenly coated. Add in 2 TBSP. tomato paste, and 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Stir on medium heat until paste dissolves into the mixture. If it is too dry, add more broth, if it is too wet, continue to cook until more liquid has dissolved.
- Taco bowl assembly – Assemble cauliflower rice on the bottom, top with the taco meat, then add all your favorite taco toppings – tomato, avocado, cilantro, salsa, lettuce, cheese, etc.
- Optional dressing – Combine minced cilantro with 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, and 1/2 of an avocado in food processor. Top taco bowls.
This recipe is SUPER easy to make and depending on what you do with it, it can absolutely be Paleo! I can’t eat lettuce (you’ll notice that these bowls have none!) but I love experimenting with all the different toppings I can put into these bowls. I never thought I would be a fan of cauliflower rice, but I’m a firm believer in “don’t knock it until you try it,” and dang, I LOVE cauliflower rice. The optional dressing is my version of sour cream. Dairy and I don’t always get along, but Greek yogurt and I don’t have too many issues (weird, I know…) If you aren’t a fan of ground turkey, you can always substitute ground hamburg in. Sometimes if there’s leftover cauliflower rice or turkey meat, we’ll make burritos or lunches the next day which I LOVE because then I don’t have to make lunches!